Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Benefits of a Routine, Part 2


          After writing about my old routine, I realized that I don’t make the best use of my day.  I think that is the secret thing about being a mom: you really do have to learn how to be more efficient, or you end up drowning in stupid, boring, repetitive tasks.
          I revised some of the things we had been doing, hoping that it would free me up to have more time to do the things I like – ie, writing.  But writing is really hard to get done with a little kid underfoot.  Writing looks like you are taking a break, since you are sitting down and playing with the computer.  Writing, to a little kid, looks a lot like something that needs to be interrupted.  Sigh.
          We still start the day the same way, but now after my husband goes to work I do my best to get chores done around the house.  In a way, this makes the most sense as far as the house goes – I have the most energy in the early mornings.  So, before we leave to do something fun, I do laundry and dishes every day, and then so far I have been casting around for an area that has been neglected for a while that needs cleaning.  It beats trying to do three loads of laundry at 4pm.
          We still spend the morning out and about, trying to use up the kiddo’s energy.  Park, friend’s house, pool, etc.  We still come home and do nap/lunch/etc. in the early afternoon.  And I still earn Swagbucks while I’m checking my email during naptime.
          But after all those things, now I find that I feel better about the condition of the house and, therefore, my little universe.  Instead of having to clean up from the whole day, I only have to clean up after any one thing that happens – snacks or art time or whatever.  I am trying to encourage the kid to color or sort things or otherwise occupy himself while I’m cooking dinner, while before I would often turn on the TV just to get him out of my hair.  We still have, by the end of the day, plenty of time to run around in the backyard and read books and build with blocks and play with toys.  We just also get a lot accomplished.
          Yesterday, I dusted the living room.  DUSTED.  I had a small “holy crap” moment.  It’s been a really long time since I did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment